Hospitality House staff has implemented its emergency action plan protocol for pandemic flu prevention to lessen the likelihood of illness. This plan includes recommendations set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as additional safety precautions specific to our shelter.
Hospitality House is operating its emergency shelter and programming at multiple locations: Utah’s Place and several motels. Individuals are receiving onsite supervision, case management, hygiene necessities, and food. Learn more>
Preventive measures inside the shelter include:
- Sanitizing the shelter with disinfectant frequently throughout the day (all doors, floors, beds, common areas, etc.)
- Directing all persons in the shelter to frequently wash their hands with hot soapy water for 20 seconds.
- Relocating our most medically fragile and at-risk guests to motels through the utilization of motel vouchers made available by County of Nevada through their Office of Emergency Services grant.
- Adhering to Public Health’s social distancing guidelines throughout the shelter and directing guests to remain 6-feet from each other.
- Modifying dinner service into three separate seatings to ensure there are no more than 16 guests in the dining room at a time, all spaced 6-feet apart.
- Cancelling all public and private tours of the shelter until further notice.
- Accepting urgently needed items for the shelter outside only (no inside access) and sanitizing these items as needed before utilization..
- Decreasing volunteer positions where possible to reduce foot traffic inside.
- Adhering to shelter-in-place best practices.
- Establishing quarantine environment plans with County of the Nevada.
Working closely with County of the Nevada and partner nonprofits through the Homeless Outreach and Medical Engagement (HOME) team, preventive measures on the streets and in camps include:
- Reaching out to campers to encourage hygiene by providing free sanitation kits.
- Educating homeless individuals on hygiene and prevention strategies.
- Identifying individuals who may be symptomatic and directing them to appropriate treatment.
- Utilizing motel vouchers for shelter and/or quarantine as needed.
Ways to help right now:
We need your help in keeping our community as safe as possible. We are helping hundreds of people right now and are utilizing the following items in large quantities. If you can help donate one or two unused items below, this will make a difference.
**IMPORTANT: All items must be sealed (unused) and cleaned.** Urgently needed items to slow the spread of coronavirus include:
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfectant wipes
- Emergen C
- Disposable cleaning gloves
- N95 Masks
- Disinfectant soap
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Blankets (must be new in package due to COVID-19)
- 3-part food to go containers (to safely transport food to the people we are serving in motels)
- Financial support to purchase supplies and provide services to folks in crisis – Donate Here. ALL DONATIONS ARE CURRENTLY BEING DOUBLED BY ANONYMOUS DONORS.
Items arriving at the shelter should be sealed and may be dropped off outside of our shelter at 1262 Sutton Way at the front entrance. Items will be disinfected before taken inside. For a tax receipt, please ring the doorbell and wait for someone to come outside to assist you. We greatly appreciate the community’s help at such times of certainty.