Located at 1262 Sutton Way, Utah’s Place serves up to 69 homeless individuals and families in our community by providing a place to shower, do laundry, have meals and receive case housing management. Guests are invited to check in each day after completing the registration process (which includes showing proof of a negative TB test or signing up for testing at the center). Each day our guests must check in between 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. for admittance to the shelter. Upon sign-in, guests sign up for daily chores, and adults must consent to an alcohol breath-test and/or random or suspicion-based drug testing as a condition of admittance to the shelter. We are a zero-tolerance shelter. Guests can leave their belongings for the night in a bin underneath their assigned bed. Guests must agree to the Hospitality House Mutual Respect Agreement while at the shelter and can utilize services to their fullest in order to get back on their feet.
Named after one of the late founders of Hospitality House, Utah Phillips was an ardent advocate for labor and peace issues as well as for the rights of homeless people. Utah, who was once homeless himself, felt a responsibility to help those in need.
- Emergency Overnight Shelter
- Hot Meals
- Medical Referral Services
- On site TB Testing and Flu Shots
- Onsite Mental Health and Substance Abuse Screenings
- Housing Case Management
- Assistance with SSI/SSDI Applications
- Six Week Culinary Job Training Program
- Public Assistance Applications
- Showers and Laundry
- Free Clothing, Bedding, Coats, Hygiene Products
- Recreation and Community-Building such as Daily House Meetings, Movies, Games, and Cards
- Life Skills and Personal Life-Enhancing Activities/Plans
- Housing Readiness Workshops
- Job Readiness Workshops
- Crisis Support
- A Pathways to Housing room dedicated to services helping people to find homes, including caseworkers helping with individualized housing plans, one-time financial assistance (for rental costs and utilities), and connection to housing opportunities (open to all homeless people in the county).
- The Pathways to Housing room is equipped with computers for life skills classes, including career planning, work habits, communication, money management, self-care, and homelessness recovery.
- Ample space for job-readiness workshops/skills offered by local service agencies and community members (resumes, interview skills, etc.).
- A room where housing case managers meet with individuals and their families.
- A commercial kitchen
- Space for onsite recovery support meetings.
- A private room for families with children.
- Bunk Beds.
- Multiple showers, laundry room.
- A medical office and designated space for mobile medical clinic.
- Space for community members to offer art, music, and other participatory/instructional opportunities.
- A bus stop almost outside our door.
We Need Your Support!
How Can You Help?
Leave a lasting legacy for yourself, your organization or a loved one. Please contact us.
Get in Touch
1262 Sutton Way
Grass Valley, CA 95945
Shelter Line: (530) 271-7144